Title: HMen-Hospital Medicine-Endocrinology -The Inpatient Management of Diabetes; Practical Approach to the Patient with Hyperlipidemia; Practical Approach to Thyroid Disease: 1. Hypothyroidism/Elevated TSH 2. Patient with a Thyroid Nodule.
Faculty: Kendal Williams, M.D., M.P.H. and David A. Horowitz, M.D
Original Release Date: July 1, 2021 Expiration Date: July 1, 2024
TOPIC 1: The Inpatient Management of Diabetes.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: COMP, GL
- Based on the guidance of the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the American Society of Clinical Endocrinologists (ASCE), develop an inpatient diabetes plan for patients that defines the target glucose and the strategy to achieve that target.
- Design an individualized inpatient management strategy for the diabetic patient that is integrated with the best practice strategies for chronic management.
- Apply strategies for the effective use of insulin in the inpatient setting.
- Formulate a transitional care plan for the new diabetic patient.
TOPIC 2: Practical Approach to the Patient with Hyperlipidemia.
Upon completion of this session, using multiple research trials as well as the recommendations of the NCEP, the participant should be able to: GL, COMP
- Apply the current NCEP guidelines.
- Develop a practical approach for considering the new medications available.
- Consider the new targets developed for cholesterol end point.
TOPIC 3: Practical Approach to Thyroid Disease: 1. Hypothyroidism/Elevated TSH 2. Patient with a Thyroid Nodule.
Upon completion of this session, by applying recommendations from the AAFP, AACE, ACP, ATA, USPSTF, IOM, and ACOG, the participant should be able to: GL, COMP
- Appreciate the role of the screening TSH and what to do with the results.
- Develop a reasonable and cost-effective approach to diagnosing the thyroid nodule.
- Discuss the management of hypothyroidism.