Expiration Date: July 1, 2019
Title: Pediatrics – Common Problems: Otitis Media; Pearls; Antibiotic Update
Faculty: Stephen C. Eppes, M.D., F.A.A.P. and Richard J. Scarfone, M.D., F.A.A.P.
Original Release Date: July 1, 2016 Review Date: July 1, 2017 Expiration Date: July 1, 2019
TOPIC 1: Acute Otitis Media: Of Pathogens and Patients.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: GL, COMP
- Recognize trends in resistance in pediatric pathogens.
- Assess recommendations in AAP/AAFP guidelines.
- Appropriately prescribe empiric antibiotic therapy.
TOPIC 2: Teaching Pearls You Should Know.
Upon completion of this session, using data and results from clinical trials, the participant should be able to: COMP
- Use test characteristics such as positive predictive value to interpret diagnostic test results.
- Order diagnostic tests appropriately by considering risks and benefits.
- Apply key teaching points to enhance management of specific diagnostic conditions.
TOPIC 3: Antibiotic Update.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: COMP
- Review recent trends in antibiotic resistance.
- Improve empiric antibiotic usage for common pediatric conditions.
- Develop strategies to resist further bacterial resistance, as recommended by the CDC.
- The receipt for any incentive-associated purchase will designate the value of the gift card separately from the cost of the learning activity.
- This incentive may have implications on your tax reporting obligations. Any reimbursed amount must be declared as personal income for tax purposes.