Title: Hospital Medicine – Endocrinology: Adrenal Disease; Type 1 Diabetes Management; Type 2 Diabetes Treatment
Faculty: Frederick Sunderlin, M.D.
Original Release Date: July 1, 2018 Expiration Date: July 1, 2021
TOPIC 1: Adrenal Disease/Steroid Use in the Hospital Setting.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: COMP
- Use pharmacologic principles of steroid preparations to design safe tapering algorithms.
- Employ outcomes-based data in the evaluation of potential adrenal insufficiency in critically ill patients.
- Apply stress dose steroid protocols for the perioperative period.
TOPIC 2: Management of Type 1 Diabetes.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: EBM, GL, COMP
- Apply current diagnostic criteria for the diagnosis of diabetes.
- Develop insulin treatment algorithms that address basic physiologic insulin secretory patterns based on evidence-based guidelines.
- Employ insulin treatment protocols for patients requiring enteral feeding or steroid use.
TOPIC 3: Treatment Strategies in Type 2 Diabetes.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: EBM, COMP
- Describe new pharmacologic agents available for glucose control.
- Apply concepts of pathophysiology to the selection of pharmacotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes.
- Assess the risks/benefits of tight glycemic control using evidence-based data.
- The receipt for any incentive-associated purchase will designate the value of the gift card separately from the cost of the learning activity.
- This incentive may have implications on your tax reporting obligations. Any reimbursed amount must be declared as personal income for tax purposes.