Title: Emergency Medicine – Pulmonary: Childhood Asthma; Pulmonary Nodules; Radiology of the Pleura
Faculty: Jeffrey A. Seiden, M.D., F.A.A.P., Adam R. Guttentag, M.D.
Original Release Date: July 1, 2018 Expiration Date: July 1, 2021
TOPIC 1: Acute Management of Childhood Asthma
Upon completion of this session, using published practice guidelines and Cochrane EBM sources, the participant should be able to: EBM, GL, COMP
- Determine the appropriate use of albuterol by metered-dose inhaler, intermittent nebulizer, and continuous nebulizer for children with moderate and severe asthma exacerbations.
- Appropriately apply the evidence regarding levalbuterol as compared with albuterol in the treatment of childhood asthma.
- Employ recent data and recommendations for the use of steroids, magnesium sulfate, terbutaline, and ipratropium bromide in the treatment of acute asthma exacerbations.
- Recognize indications for inpatient hospitalization in children with acute asthma exacerbations.
TOPIC 2: Pulmonary Nodule: Evaluation and Follow-Up
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: EBM, GL, COMP
- Evaluate pulmonary nodules using a variety of radiographic techniques.
- Assess pulmonary nodules for features that reliably exclude malignancy.
- Use evidence-based guidelines regarding appropriate intervals for nodule follow up.
TOPIC 3: Radiology of the Pleura: Effusion, Pneumothorax and More
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: COMP
- Detect pleural effusion on a chest radiograph in its various manifestations.
- Analyze a CT scan of the chest for findings that differentiate benign from malignant pleural effusion.
- Distinguish pneumothorax from other findings that may simulate it on a chest radiograph.
- The receipt for any incentive-associated purchase will designate the value of the gift card separately from the cost of the learning activity.
- This incentive may have implications on your tax reporting obligations. Any reimbursed amount must be declared as personal income for tax purposes.