Title: Pediatrics – Pediatric Updates: Antibiotics; Pathogens in the News; Teaching Pearls
Faculty: Stephen C. Eppes, M.D., F.A.A.P., Richard J. Scarfone, M,D,, F.A.A.P.
Original Release Date: July 1, 2019 Expiration Date: July 1, 2022
TOPIC 1: Antibiotic Update.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: COMP
- Review recent trends in antibiotic resistance.
- Improve empiric antibiotic usage for common pediatric conditions.
- Develop strategies to resist further bacterial resistance, as recommended by the CDC.
TOPIC 2: Pathogens in the News: What Do They Mean For You.
Upon completion of this session and using the guidelines from the CDC, the participant should be able to: GL, COMP
- Recognize the current epidemiology of highly contagious viral or other infectious diseases that are of most immediate public health concern.
- Identify key clinical manifestations, as documented by the CDC guidelines, of these diseases.
- Plan for necessary precautions for newly identified viruses as developed and recommended by the CDC protocols and guidelines.
- Employ CDC recommended actions to contact Hospital, Local, State and Federal Health Officials as appropriate or mandated.
TOPIC 3: Teaching Pearls You Should Know.
Upon completion of this session, using data and results from clinical trials and referenced EBM, the participant should be able to: EBM, COMP
- Use test characteristics such as positive predictive value to interpret diagnostic test results.
- Order diagnostic tests appropriately by considering risks and benefits.
- Apply key teaching points to enhance management of specific diagnostic conditions.
- The receipt for any incentive-associated purchase will designate the value of the gift card separately from the cost of the learning activity.
- This incentive may have implications on your tax reporting obligations. Any reimbursed amount must be declared as personal income for tax purposes.