Title: Family Medicine-Cardiology: Hypertension; Lipids/Cardiovascular Risk Assessment; Peri-operative Cardiac Evaluation
Faculty: John Bielinski, PA-C, Gregary D Marhefka, M.D., F.A.C.C., F.A.C.P., Alyson N. Owen, M.D
Original Release Date: July 1, 2019 Expiration Date: July 1, 2022
TOPIC 1: Hypertension.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: COMP, GL
- Incorporate latest 2017 HTN guideline.
- Incorporate lifestyle medicine.
- Identify secondary work up.
- Select appropriate therapies for hypertensive urgency and emergency.
TOPIC 2: Lipids and Cardiovascular Risk Assessment.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to:COMP, GL, EBM
- Recognize the changes and updates to the current ACC/AHA lipid guidelines.
- Develop new insights for the assessment of LDL and Total cholesterol levels.
- Formulate recommendations for when and how to treat hypercholesterolemia as per the most recent ACC/AHA guidelines and Treatment Algorithm while considering the importance of RCT’s such as IMPROVE-IT & AIM-HIGH
- Determine when to refer his or her patient to a lipid specialist.
TOPIC 3: Peri-Operative Cardiac Evaluation.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: EBM, GL, COMP
- Formulate guideline based strategies for peri-operative risk evaluation.
- Relate peri-operative cardiovascular physiology.
- Appraise evidence behind recommendations.
- Prescribe peri-operative risk reduction strategies.