American Medical Seminars, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
American Medical Seminars, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Title: Hospitalist & Internal Medicine: Skin and Soft Tissue Infections, Renal Medicine, Cirrhosis, Heart Failure, Atrial Fibrillation
Course ID: W-20220613-HMIM-4
Faculty: Kendal Williams, M.D., M.P.H. and Vandana Y. Bhide, M.D., F.A.C.P., F.A.A.P., A.B.I.H.M.
Original Release Date: July 1, 2022 Expiration Date: July 1, 2025
Topic 1: Overview of the Inpatient Management of Skin and Soft Tissue Infections (Williams)
- Review the clinical presentation and categorization of common skin and soft tissue infections.
- Differentiate common non-infectious conditions that can mimic skin and soft tissue infections.
- Based on evidence from the CDC and standard of care publications, recognize and incorporate the changing epidemiology and resistance patterns impacting skin and soft tissue infections into therapeutic plans.
- Recognize the types of drug-associated rashes and formulate an effective treatment plan for each.
Topic 2: Update in Inpatient Renal Medicine (Williams)
- Review the evaluation of acute renal failure in the inpatient setting.
- Discuss the forms of dialysis used in hospitalized patients.
- Review the management of hyperkalemia.
- Discuss the management of fluid overload in patients with advanced kidney disease.
- Review best practice strategies for the use of diuretics in hospitalized patients.
Topic 3: Cirrhosis (Bhide)
- Apply evidence-based treatments for common manifestations of cirrhosis, including ascites, spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, esophageal variceal bleed, and hepatic encephalopathy.
- Evaluate prognostic scoring systems for alcoholic cirrhosis.
- Apply evidence-based treatments for hepatorenal syndrome.
Topic 4: Systolic and Diastolic Heart Failure (Bhide)
- Appropriately manage decompensated heart failure in hospitalized patients.
- Assess the indications for positive inotropic agents and ultrafiltration in systolic heart failure.
- Distinguish the treatment of systolic versus diastolic heart failure, as per the 2013 ACCF/AHA Guidelines for heart failure management.
Topic 5: Atrial Fibrillation in the Hospitalized Patient (Bhide)
- Assess and evaluate treatment options for atrial fibrillation with rapid ventricular response, as per the 2010 HFSA Guidelines.
- Employ appropriate anticoagulation strategies for atrial fibrillation.
- Distinguish the advantages of rhythm versus rate control treatment strategies, 2014 ACC/AHA Guidelines for atrial fibrillation management.
- Determine the possible underlying causes of CHF exacerbations.
- The receipt for any incentive-associated purchase will designate the value of the gift card separately from the cost of the learning activity.
- This incentive may have implications on your tax reporting obligations. Any reimbursed amount must be declared as personal income for tax purposes.