Title:Hospitalist & Internal Medicine: Perioperative Medicine, MRSA and C. difficile, Oral Anticoagulants, Acute Coronary Syndromes, Delirium, Dementia, and Psychosis
Course ID: W-20220613-HMIM-3
Faculty: Kendal Williams, M.D., M.P.H. and Vandana Y. Bhide, M.D., F.A.C.P., F.A.A.P., A.B.I.H.M.
Original Release Date: July 1, 2022 Expiration Date: July 1, 2025
Topic 1: Update in Perioperative Medicine (Bhide)
- Appraise pre-operative cardiac risk stratification and management strategies, as per the ACC/AHA Risk Clinical Predictors.
- Determine the role of non-invasive stress testing, echocardiography, coronary angiography and the use of biomarkers to assess peri-operative cardiac risk, as per the ACC/AHA (2014) Perioperative CV Evaluation Guidelines.
- Relate the indications for beta blockers, statins and aspirin in the peri-operative period.
- Evaluate the bleeding risks of commonly prescribed medications and OTC supplements taken pre-operatively.
Topic 2: Challenging Infections: MRSA and C. difficile (Bhide)
- Assess and apply appropriate treatment strategies for different types of methicillin resistant staph aureus infections.
- Employ rational use and relate the precautions of newer antibiotics when treating resistant bacteria.
- Distinguish Guideline based treatment of Clostridium difficile infections.
Topic 3: Direct Oral Anticoagulants (Bhide)
- Differentiate the advantages and disadvantages of commonly used anticoagulants.
- Employ evidence-based anticoagulation bridging regimens.
- Assess the approved indications for various anticoagulation agents.
- Apply the evidence-based indications for anticoagulation in hospitalized patients.
Topic 4: Update on the Management of Acute Coronary Syndromes (Williams)
- Distinguish the forms of ACS and their relative prognoses.
- Based on the most recent AHA/ACC guidelines, apply the appropriate initial management of patients experiencing acute coronary syndromes.
- Based on the most recent AHA/ACC guidelines, categorize the therapeutic options for patients with unstable angina and post-MI.
- Based on the most recent AHA/ACC guidelines, employ the secondary prevention strategies for patients who have experienced an acute coronary syndrome.
Topic 5: Delirium, Dementia, and Psychosis – The Diagnosis and Management of the Inpatient with Mental Status Change (Williams)
- Apply a diagnostic approach to the hospitalized patient with acute mental status change.
- Discuss the differential diagnosis of psychosis in the hospitalized patient.
- Based on a systematic review of the best evidence, formulate an evidence-based management strategy for delirium in the hospital setting.
- Develop an evidence-based screening and treatment protocol for the prevention and management of alcohol withdrawal syndromes.