Title: Family Medicine- Endocrinology : Use and Interpretation of Thyroid Tests.; Treating Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus; Osteoporosis: Treatment and Prevention.
Course ID: FMen
Herbert L. Muncie, Jr., M.D.
Professor of Family Medicine, Department of Family Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA
Original Release Date: July 1, 2021 Expiration Date: July 1, 2024
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES FOR EACH TOPIC:
TOPIC 1: Use and Interpretation of Thyroid Tests
Upon completion of this session, using the American Thyroid Association Guidelines and the Cochrane Abstract Database, the participant should be able to: EBM, GL, COMP
- Integrate the serum tests for thyroid function.
- Interpret thyroid tests results that occur in clinical settings.
- Recommend the appropriate follow-up testing of abnormal thyroid tests and the frequency of these evaluations.
- Appraise the need to treat subclinical hypothyroidism or subclinical hyperthyroidism.
TOPIC 2: Treating Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
Upon completion of this session, using the American Diabetes Association, the European Association for the Study of Diabetes Guidelines and the Cochrane Abstract Database, the participant should be able to: EBM, GL, COMP
- Evaluate the therapeutic goals in treating type 2 diabetes and their impact on morbidity and mortality.
- Recommend the approach for choosing an oral hypoglycemic agent to treat type 2 diabetes.
- Specify the clinical situations that would require the use of insulin to treat type 2 diabetes and the probable dosage form and average amounts required for control of A1c.
- Develop the therapeutic options for preventing diabetic complications.
TOPIC 3: Osteoporosis: Treatment and Prevention.
Upon completion of this session, using the USPSTF, NOF Guidelines and the Cochrane Abstract Database, the participant should be able to: EBM, GL, COMP
- Debate the importance of the risk factors for an osteoporosis fracture.
- Employ the diagnostic testing for patients at risk with osteoporosis.
- Select the therapeutic medication to treat osteoporosis based upon the indications and side effects.
- Assess the therapeutic role of repeating the DXA scan in patients treated for osteoporosis.
- The receipt for any incentive-associated purchase will designate the value of the gift card separately from the cost of the learning activity.
- This incentive may have implications on your tax reporting obligations. Any reimbursed amount must be declared as personal income for tax purposes.