Title: Family Medicine and Internal Medicine: Preventable Hospital Readmissions, Chest Pain, Dementia, Headaches, and Osteoporosis
Course ID: W-20220829-Family Medicine and Internal Medicine-3
Faculty:Herbert L. Muncie, M.D. and David A. Horowitz, M.D.
Original Release Date: August 29, 2022 Expiration Date: August 29, 2025
Topic 1: Strategies to Address the Issue of Preventable Hospital Readmissions Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: EBM, COMP
- Identify the factors which contribute to increase risk of readmission.
- Stratify the risk for readmission utilizing evidence-based tools.
- Develop a transition of care strategy to reduce the likelihood of a preventable readmission.
Topic 2: Approach to the Management of Chest Pain Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: COMP
- Evaluate the complaint in the context of history, physical exam, and EKG findings.
- Develop a strategy to use cardiac biomarkers in the evaluation of ACS.
- Use recent research studies and guidelines to develop an approach to the patient with chest pain.
Topic 3: Practical Approach to the Patient with Dementia Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: EBM, COMP
- Formulate a practical approach to screening for dementia.
- Discuss medication management to include polypharmacy, drug-drug interactions, as well as new drugs and their potential efficacy and side effects.
- Develop a long-term follow-up and referral process that considers cost-effective and resource management.
Topic 4: Migraine Headaches – Update on Diagnosis and Treatment Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: GL, COMP
- Construct the approach for evaluating a patient with possible migraine headaches.
- Assess the advantages of supportive therapy and lifestyle changes in treating migraine headaches compared to pharmacologic therapy.
- Appraise the pharmacologic options for treating the acute pain of a migraine headache.
- Recommend a prophylactic therapy regimen for patients with recurrent migraine headaches.
Topic 5: Osteoporosis: Treatment and Prevention Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: EBM, COMP
- Debate the importance of the risk factors for an osteoporosis fracture.
- Employ the diagnostic testing for patients at risk with osteoporosis.
- Select the therapeutic medication to treat osteoporosis based upon the indications and side effects.
- Assess the therapeutic role of repeating the DXA scan in patients treated for osteoporosis.