Title: FMci-Family Medicine – Common Issues: COPD; Hypertension; Endocrine Disorders
Faculty: Herbert L. Muncie, Jr., M.D., Merri Lou Pendergrass, M.D., Ph.D.
Original Release Date: July 1, 2020 Expiration Date: July 1, 2023
TOPIC 1: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): Evaluation and Treatment
Upon completion of this session, using the ACCP GOLD guidelines, the AACVPR practice guidelines and the evidence-based reports from Clinical Evidence, the participant should be able to: EBM, GL, COMP
- Appraise patient specific data to determine if they meet diagnostic criteria for COPD.
- Analyze the role of cigarette smoking in the etiology and natural history of COPD.
- Formulate a treatment plan for the stages of COPD.
- Recommend the follow-up required to assess the therapeutic efficacy of the treatment options.
TOPIC 2: Evaluation and Treatment of Hypertensive Patients
Upon completion of this session, using the most recent JNC Guidelines, the Cochrane Abstract Database and the evidence-based reports from Clinical Evidence, the participant should be able to: EBM, GL, COMP
- Employ the non-pharmacologic treatment options to manage hypertension.
- Specify the pharmacologic treatment options for patients with compelling indications based upon JNC Guidelines.
- Formulate the therapeutic goal for controlling blood pressure in different patient populations and the combination of medications that can achieve that goal.
- Distinguish the side effect risks for each class of antihypertensive medications.
TOPIC 3: Common Endocrine Disorders
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: EBM, GL, COMP
- Recognize, evaluate and treat common endocrine abnormalities and employ Endo Society Guidelines to include:
- Low testosterone,
- Adrenal masses.