Delirium in the Elderly – Current Concepts.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to:EBM,COMP
- Specify diagnostic features and common causes of delirium in seniors.
- Distinguish the causes of persistent delirium.
- Use evidence based medicine to formulate treatment approaches to delirious seniors.
- Recognize treatment options for intermittent agitation using evidence based medicine.
Migraine Headaches – Update on Diagnosis and Treatment.
Upon completion of this session, using the International Headache Society and U.S. Headache Consortium Guidelines and the National Guideline Clearinghouse and the evidence-based reports from Clinical Evidence, the participant should be able to: EBM, GL, COMP
- Construct the approach for evaluating a patient with possible migraine headaches.
- Assess the advantages of supportive therapy and lifestyle changes in treating migraine headaches compared to pharmacologic therapy.
- Appraise the pharmacologic options for treating the acute pain of a migraine headache.
- Recommend a prophylactic therapy regimen for patients with recurrent migraine headaches.
Evaluation and Treatment of Dementia in Seniors.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: EBM, COMP
- Determine the common causes of cognitive dysfunction and dementia in seniors.
- Develop an evidence based evaluation of seniors with cognitive dysfunction.
- Evaluate the relative risks and benefits of available treatment options for dementia in seniors.
- Distinguish the central role of caregiver education and support in treating seniors with dementia.
Use and Interpretation of Thyroid Tests.
Upon completion of this session, using the American Thyroid Association Guidelines and the Cochrane Abstract Database, the participant should be able to: COMP, EBM, GL
- Integrate the serum tests for thyroid function.
- Interpret thyroid tests results that occur in clinical settings.
- Recommend the appropriate follow-up testing of abnormal thyroid tests and the frequency of these evaluations.
- Appraise the need to treat subclinical hypothyroidism or subclinical hyperthyroidism.
Geriatric Depression: Advances in Diagnosis and Treatment.
Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to: COMP, EBM
- Differentiate the variety of clinical presentations of depressive disorders in seniors.
- Appraise the utility of, and plan to use, the Geriatric Depression Scale.
- Apply an evidence based approach to antidepressant drug therapy in seniors.
- Apply the evidence based recommendations for use of non-drug antidepressant therapy.